The Stonecutter : Fantastic Food

I happened to be in Aughrim today and stopped in on The Stonecutter Cafe. I had a bowl of pasta with meatballs that renewed my faith in Italian food. The sauce was absolutely zinging with freshness and flavour and the meatballs were meltingly delicious.   The other food being served around me looked pretty mouth watering, especially the roast pork.

Well worth a detour if you are in that neck of the woods.

March 25, 2006 at 10:57 pm

1. Yeah – it’s a great place. I’m moving down to wicklow very soon (or as soon as house is finished!) and the stonecutter is one of our new favourite ‘landmarks’. The brekkie is really nice too.

Peter Knight

April 3, 2006 at 5:54 pm

2. Myself and my partner had a meal in the Stonecutter yesterday, August 4th 2007 and it was the worst meal I’ve in Ireland (excluding carvery lunches!). I ordered chickhen with penne pasta which according to the menu had been ‘gratinated’. It was an extremely watery tomatoe sauce with poorly trimmed vegetable chunks, ok chicken chunks, over cooked mushy pasta and a hideous smothering of melted cheese of indeterminate origin. My partner had ‘gourmet’ sausages with mash and gravey. The sausages looked and tasted cheap and the dish was over seasoned. Even though I had barely touched my plate the admittedly friendly waitress did not enquire as to how I had found the meal. I would never eat in this place again.

Fergal

August 5, 2007 at 12:59 am

3. My name is Brian Murray and I was the chef-proprietor of The Stonecutter Cafe/Bar from June 2002 to June 2006. During that time my staff and I all worked relentlessly to provide an honest and wholesome food offer in a clean and friendly enviroment.
    Fortunately our efforts were rewarded and we gained a good reputation, we stopped trading in Aughrim in June 2006 leaving the Stonecutter name and reputation behind us, for others to operate.
    Reviews in print remain constant where food operations rarely do. Word of mouth and local knowledge are all.
    Ask the Others whose banging out the best grub and where. Follow the pack not the print and you should arrive at an unadulterated watering hole.
    Nature is the best chef of all and the only one I know that can always be trusted to provide good food. Chefs rarely understand this!

Brian Murray

August 27, 2008 at 11:19 pm

4. Brian,

Still remember those meatballs fondly. Are you cooking anywhere else I could drop into for a meal these days?

Joe.

August 27, 2008 at 11:41 pm

5. Brian? Are you alive? Remember me? Pavlina from Slovakia, working with you one summer. Food and service in that time was really great.

Pavlina