The UK Home office posted an alert today on its website, that includes these draconian measures,
All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.
The only items that may be taken through airport security search points and in to the cabin, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, are the following:
- pocket-size wallets and pocket-size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards, etc – handbags are not allowed.
- travel documents essential for the journey (eg, passports and travel tickets)
- prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic
- spectacles and sunglasses, without cases
- contact lens holders, without bottles of solution
- for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags)
- female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg, tampons, pads, towels and wipes)
- tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
- keys (but not with electrical key fobs)
Nothing may be carried in pockets.
So no PCs, backpacks or munchies.
I see a lot of very disgruntled users trying to boot mashed up PCs in the next few days.
The measures are expected to stay in place throughout the weekend.