Seven things we sold that you can't buy any more

IN the 1970’s my father ran a newsagent in Artane Dublin (one of his many careers!).  We sold all these things at a fantastic rate, where are they now?

1. Boiled sweets dished out from glass jars into quarter pound bags
  2. Slices of ice cream cut and served between wafers straight from the fridge
  3. Individual cigarettes
  4. Packets of safety razors (just the blades, of course you have a razor!)
  5. Broken bits of various cadbury’s products sold by the quarter pound
  6. Hapenny chews sold at 4 for a pre-decimal hapenny
  7. Large bottles of red lemonade
Advertisements

October 31, 2007 at 2:58 am

1. There’s a shop on George’s street that still sells the quarter of sweets. The window is full of jars of boiled sweets. My favourite are pear drops. Apple drops are good too but they end up with bits of brown paper stuck to them if you don’t eat them quick enough. Rubharb and Custard are another favourite of mine.

Johnny K

October 31, 2007 at 10:59 am

2. hey Joe —

the broken bits of Cadbury’s chocolate may be a northside-only thing — didn’t they have a factory up the road in Coolock?

Justin

October 31, 2007 at 1:32 pm

3. bang on Justin, though I think we got them from Leyden’s, the cash and carry in Fairview. We then had to sit in the car for an hour with a bottle of coke and crisps while my dad sank a few pints in Gaffneys.

October 31, 2007 at 1:52 pm

4. When I was in school, the shop opposite the school used to sell a combo pack with a cigarette, a match and a polo mint. Genius.

Aidan Finn

October 31, 2007 at 4:56 pm

5. what a commercial world we live in today…
    though i think i know a few places that sell boiled sweets in jars.

Phil O'Kane

November 9, 2007 at 7:29 pm

6. I was employed as a storedetective in your fathers shop. It was only for a couple of hours after Sunday Mass. I had to catch all these thieving bastards from Artane and Harmonstown, Never caught anybody, They woz to hard.

ctpwatson

April 2, 2008 at 6:03 pm

7. Your old man had a big dog called Major

I remeber once being stuck in the garage with you and your brother Mike because of this most fierce dog.

ctpwatson

April 2, 2008 at 6:25 pm

8. Yeah, I remember that, Christ that dog was fierce. So CTP remind me of your name.

April 2, 2008 at 6:29 pm

9. Tom the sweatshop man of Artane was in icon to all of us useless layabouts. He had money and durex in his pckets. I still think of him with great regard after all of these years. Top Man T. F. Drumgoole.

ctpwatson

April 2, 2008 at 6:42 pm

10. My name is Ciaran.

ctpwatson

April 2, 2008 at 7:02 pm

11. MY name is Ciaran.things. I have 3 Barbours, three pairs of Churches shoes, wardrobes full of paul smith, gucci, boss, westwood, etc etc. My life is very short so I would like to donate all of my gear to a charity. Cars Cameras and houses horses dimonds

ld etc stc I will stick up my nose.

ctpwatson

April 2, 2008 at 7:16 pm

12. ha ha of course Hi Ciaran. Good to here from you.

April 2, 2008 at 8:56 pm