Don't be like me – read this book
Stuck in an airport several months ago I finally overcame my age long prejudice against a book I pigeonholed into “self help shite” when I was much younger and dumber. So I grabbed Dale Carnegie’s “How To Win Friends and Influence People” of the shelf and finally realised what I’d been missing.
I’ll quote something from the introduction from his wife which should strike a chord with bloggers everywhere,
Dale Carnegie wrote as he spoke, in an intensively exuberant, colloquial, conversational manner
I can’t think of better advice.
If you read this book (and you’re as old as me) you’ll hear lots of stuff that sounds familiar. The difference with Dale is, he said it first and its all in one convenient package.
His front page (of my edition) says it all. But the method is the key and for that you need the book itself.
- Get out of a mental rut think new thoughts, acquire new visions, discover new ambitions
- Make friends quickly and easily
- Increase your popularity
- Win people to your way of thinking
- Increase your influence, your prestige, your ability to get things done
- Handle complaints, avoid arguments, keep your human contacts smooth and pleasant
- Become a better speaker, a more entertaining conversationalist
- Arouse enthusiasm among your associates
Do like Dale says and succeed.